According to the NFPA, private fireworks generate temps in excess of 1200 degrees F. So the risk of starting a fire is real, on top of this year's being an already active wildfire season.
In a typical year (in the US):
- July 4th is the day on which the greatest number of fires are reported
- 40% of fires reported on July 4th are caused by fireworks
- fireworks caused 15,500 reported fires, resulting in...
- 1,100 structure fires
- 300 vehicle fires
- 8 reported deaths
- $36 million in direct property damage
But fireworks also cause EMS calls, a lot of them! EMTs are busy already, fireworks just add to the load.
In 2010 (in the US):
- 8,800 people went to the ER for fireworks-related injuries
- 52% were burns
- 21% were contusions and lacerations
- 40% of people injured were less than 15 yrs old
- Sparklers, fountains and novelties accounted for 43% of the injuries
Have a safe 4th of July!!